Sunday, December 19, 2010

Wave Goodbye to Flabby Arms


I call them "flabby arms." My best friend calls them "lunch lady arms." Others call them "chicken wing arms." But whatever you call them, you know what I'm talking about. You know...the part of your arm that flaps when you wave goodbye. Here let me show you mine:

I am determined to tone my arms. So far I have been very disciplined with working out at the gym about five times a week. My workout routine consists of an hour on the treadmill with a five minute stretch at the end. And on Tuesdays I do Zumba. I would like to start introducing some weights and other exercises to my workout ritual. In one article I read, the author pointed out that many woman want to reduce the "flab" so they only focus on their triceps. Your triceps consist of 60% of your arm muscle and your biceps are the other 40%. Well, 60% and 40% really aren't that far apart. And the author warned readers that you can't only work your triceps-- work them both so you have an overall toned arm.

Some good arm workouts include, of course, dumb bell curls, push-ups, overhead extensions, and chair dips. Isometric-Training.com is a good website I found with some good triceps exercises. They even have funny little animations to show you how to do the exercises. I would like to start introducing some of these techniques into my routine. So maybe come spring I'll be ready for tank top weather!

5 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4znJTziDg4

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you tried myfitnesspal.com? I just started it today, it's pretty amazing and super easy way to keep track of calories and excercise!
    --kirby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen- I love that video clip! So funny!

    Kirby- You just changed me life. After reading your post, I set up an account and I'm already hooked! That will be so helpful to record all my measurements and weight as well as my workouts and food. Writing what I eat will help me be aware of my unhealthy eating habits and hopefully help me cut back! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have started back to the gym after about a two month lay-off over the holidays. To my dismay, I put on 10 pounds. Ugh!! So, my goal is to take off two pounds a month. Maybe by next year, I can get back into my clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud of you for getting back to the gym! Keep wearing that pedometer! :)

    ReplyDelete